Supply chain impacts of the war situation in Israel
The current Israel-Hamas conflict has the attention and concern of the global community. A summary of ocean and air transportation industry impacts is below.
• Israel’s primary ports continue to function normally, with full operation of inland services via road and rail.
• Congestion and delays are present at Ashdod due to security checks and labor shortages.
• Major shipping companies such as Maersk, MSC, and ZIM are accepting bookings and previously scheduled cargo to and from Israel; however, Haifa port has prohibited all new movements of hazardous cargo, and Ashdod port is imposing restrictions also.
• Maersk is waiving Change of Destination (COD) service fees and is halting Detention & Demurrage between October 8 and November 8, 2023.
• ZIM announced a war-risk premium on containers to and from Israeli ports.
• Evergreen declared force majeure on the Ever Cozy, which was unable to call at Israel’s port of Ashdod and diverted to Haifa.
• Several major airlines, including American Airlines, British Airways, and Air France/KLMs have suspended flights to Israel.
• UPS has suspended service to Israel, while DHL continues its air cargo flights to Tel Aviv without disruptions, and FedEx has reinstated its service.
Please contact your CH Powell Company / Tandem USA service team with questions regarding shipments moving to and from Israel.